Thursday, October 13, 2011

Web 2.0 Resource for Science Class



 Robert Fritz comments that " The most important developments in civilization have come through creative process, but ironically, most people have not been taught to be creative".

   

I understand that Gen Z students are fond of creating things. They love to create because it gives them a sense of accomplishment and control. They produce wonderful things that we can't even imagine or expect from them.  I think that web 2.0 resources have the capability of unleashing the captivated imagination of all learners. 

As part of my new assignment when I had to look at variety of web 2.0 resources for my class, I found  Xtranormal (movie maker) very interesting. I had never used any movie maker earlier for assigning projects to my students. This tool is simple to use; who so ever can 'type' can create a movie using this movie maker. After one signs up, some virtual points are given to create and publish the movie. Later on if one wants to create any more, then there are charges, but I think the initial free virtual points are enough for couple of times. There are many features (such as number of characters, background, emotions, movement, angle of camera, voice and so on) which provide ample freedom to customize.


This tool can be used to assign small projects to the students where they can create short movies on different topics to express their understanding of the content. It can also be used to assess their knowledge. I think it will be more appealing to the students who are visual learners. It offers another option to them other than creating slides.  A rubric along with this movie making activity will help in directing the students as to how they have to use it to create effectively. 

I have created a short movie on 'asteroids' as an example so that the learners get a fair idea of what is expected from them.  





References:
Morris,W. Creativity in Education (Feb.2006) Retrieved Oct. 13,2011 from http://www.jpb.com/creative/Creativity_in_Education.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment